EK9 Project

EK9: Refurbish pt. 1 – The room mirror

As mentioned earlier, my humble TypeR needs a little brush-up here and there. The first thing i adressed was the room mirror. If you look closely, you can see how the edges of the miror glass started to oxidate. You won’t notice it if you don’t know, but since i look into this mirror everytime i drive the car, it always hurt me.

When i asked Honda in japan, they said they had exactly one piece left in stock, so i absolutely had to get it. Luckily i once also bought a set of interieur plastic removal tools, so to take the cover (with the sensor) off was a piece of cake:

Next step was the removal of the miror itself, which is mounted with 3 screws:

There we go: Left is the new one (witht he old rubber spacer), right the old one, and top the feel’s carbon miror cover, which i had installed on the old one.

Here you can see the edges oxidated (especially on the bottom). in real life it looks even worse:

The rubber piece started to age and you can see white marks from the softener slowly going out (looks like white dust). In this picture i had already cleaned it with warm water and an old tooth brush. two pictures up, you can see how it looked before.

One thing i learned from my Datsun project is that Petroleum Oil (best known as vaseline) is great for preserving slightly aged rubber pieces. so after i gently greased the whole thing it looks and feels like new. excellent:

And everything installed back again. This surely makes more fun to drive now, even if it’s only for myself. it was something that really wasn’t nice to look at 🙂
Another thing i noticed is that the Feels carbon cover was never installed 100% to fit on the old mirror, due to a little installation mistake. Now it fit’s much better and doesn’t look like a cheap tuning part anymore, but more like a proper carbon mirror. excellent 🙂

Oh, and since it’s a new year, i decided to install the 2022 toll sticker for the swiss Autobahn usage in the same go. Hopefully the car gets on the road this year again, so the money wasn’t wasted:

If you got the right tools it’s a fairly easy job to get the old one removed and the new one installed. so here we go:

More updates coming soon, hopefully – stay tuned…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *