I’m working on a huge post about Z Factory transmissions and options but i decided myself i’d rather get some physical work done on my transmission while the weather is nice. The goal is to check the state of my original FS5C71A factory five-speed (non-US-spec) and then decide if i’ll stick with the stock transmission or switch to the FS5W71C transmission from the S14 which i bought a while ago.
So this is how i started on saturday:
Then the infamous “monkey motion” sthifter stick pin had to be removed from the gear-selector rod. This pin-assembly usually tend’s to wear out and feel loose but i have to say it felt pretty solid and direct in my car. so probably doesn’t need too much rework in t his area.
Next was to get the flange-connector off the output shaft. Was quite tricky without air-tools / rattle gun but a trusty hammer, a big ratchet and some elbow-grease later i was able to remove it without any damage to anything or anyone 🙂
So far it looks promising. wasn’t able to find any damage on the gears but as soon as i have the clutch bell housing and the front cover removed and all gears are visible i will have a collegue of mine check through all the gearing, synchro rings and so on. Will get the covers repainted and all the seals replaced. You can clearly see the Porsche type Steel servo synchros in this picture. Kind of weird how they sold this as a “Competition” option in USA while it was factory equipment in the rest of the world 🙂 Part two coming soon…